Wednesday, June 30, 2010

update on work

So this is my last week of work until July 21st...the kids are on break from school and Fundavida is following their school schedule so we are on break as well! Looks like a great time to travel! Next week I am planning to go to Panama (this is where we will be staying www.bocabound.com ) with another girl that I work with, Brianna.
Work has been going well. I have enjoyed getting to know the children and watching their excitement when they actually understand something in English. I have been doing a little bit of tutoring with a few students that are behind in the English program and I think that has really been beneficial for them. It is hard though because sometimes I will set up times for them to come in and get help and then they dont show up. I do not know if they just forget or what. It is also a daily struggle since my Spanish is slacking. I wish I could just snap my fingers and I would understand it all haha. Two days ago, Monday, the founder of Fundavida took the volunteers out to lunch at Applebees. I had salmon and lets just say it was the best thing I have eaten since I have been here...I really needed that meal. He talked to us about of experiences so far and asked for any suggestions we had. Yesterday, after the class at viente cinco I went to Conce to help tutor and organize the kids notebooks. I met one little boy named Royer who is the son of Juri (the lady who cleans viente cinco and enjoys braiding my hair). Royer is 13 years old and was on the verge of becoming very involved in the drug scene. A former computer teacher at Fundavida took him aside and began mentoring him and now he is doing great! That is what Fundavida is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment